Sunday, March 11, 2012

Indoor Garden (part 3)


It's been 7 weeks since I started my indoor garden.

 First off what I thought was spinach was lettuce.  It has grown really well. I had my first cut last week and used it on Navajo Tacos. To cut loose leaf you cut about one inch up from the base and you should get a second grow. At least that is what I read. We'll wait and see.




Green Beans are growing really well. Here is a pictures of growing bean pods. As this picture is from last week, the pods are twice as big now. Looks like Mister and I will have good meal of green beans.  I have learned that beans and peas do better if you inoculate them with nitrogen fixing bacteria, which I picked up for my outdoor garden beans last week. (So excited for spring).

  My peas are still growing, the base leafs have started to dry and yellow. I have been reading the internet for an answer but I don't have a definite yet. I need to pick up a pH test and that should answer it. I am hoping the answer is add magnesium not you have root rot fungus.



The pepper and tomatoes are growing well, but no where close to start bearing fruit. The spinach has never really taken off. I need to read a book on companion plants to see if spinach and beans don't play well together or if there is something else wrong.

From what I've found in my gardening books and on the internet the condition are otherwise fine for growing spinach. Maybe I will have an answer in my next garden post.



Now is the time to plant broccoli and carrots outdoors and start my outdoor plants. Maybe I won't kill them all this summer.

Happy Growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment